in the last two days I’ve had to deal with 1. people who don’t like each other possibly having to hang out with one another and 2. wanting to bail on plans because better plans came along. I’m sorry, sometimes my friends are boring and I want to go do the same exact thing I’d be doing with them but with more fun, boozy friends. I’m only human.
this all would be solved if I continued not to be social and just sat on my couch, drank by myself and painted my nails.
in my final week before I start my full time job I’m doing nothing with my days but watching daytime TV. Real Housewives marathons and Lifetime movies, IM GOING TO MISS YOU!!!!
it’s become my word of the week.
as I walked into the house from my second interview this afternoon (so much bullshit spewing from my mouth in one day) I threw down my purse and said, “this is such a hustle.” I then took about three different phones calls in the hour I had between interview and work to discuss other work possibilities. this mess is such hard work. it fully dawned on me why people continue to work shitty jobs long after they’ve determined it to be a shitty job. but once you get rolling, you just want to keep doing more. if I had time I would have sent out more resumes and made more phone calls. we’ll see how long this lasts.
I’ve been run ragged this week. I feel like I haven’t had a day off in forever but it’s only been since Sunday. I suppose working a 12 hour day and having full days even when you’re not at work will do that to you. I was completely looking forward to having tomorrow off to have a proper lay-in until I had to be at work in the afternoon but plans changed and now I have to be up and at ‘em at 9 tomorrow. I think the fact that I don’t know when my next day off will come, our handy dandy new manager went on vacation without making a new schedule so I don’t know what I’m working after tomorrow until he makes the schedule tomorrow night (UGH!), is really what’s wearing me out. I have nothing to look forward to right now. I’m also concerned that because I have next weekend already approved off that I’m going to have to work another full week straight and that would be a major bummer.
now that I think of it, I guess I do have something to look forward to. having next weekend off. but that’s too far. ha. though, considering I will be seeing Lindsey next Saturday it may totally be worth the wait.
I’m going to sleep.
hey, did I tell you guys I was going to the UWM/Marquette women’s game tonight? probably not. I was not at all excited about this game. haha. here are my unsolicited thoughts on it.
- MAEGEN KELLY FTW!! - remember earlier today when I mentioned Kelly was my favorite? tonight was a perfect display of why. the girl is nothing but hustle. the game winning goal came from nothing but hustle (and poor goalkeeping.) now that the sophomore is starting this season and on a hot streak, I’m very anxious to see how the Big East defends her and, in turn, how she responds to it. the good thing is her strength is her hustle (obviously my favorite word when describing her. and no, I will not find a thesaurus. hustle is staying.) and it’s not exactly something that’s easy to defend against. each game that goes by this season I become happier and happier that she’s only a sophomore and I get to watch two more years of her.
sidenote: during the game I told Zach, “I feel like such a creep being a fan of a college player. like, she’s 12.” when she scored, I didn’t care. I screamed my head off. thankfully, I was sitting near the Marquette families so I fit in.
- SOMEONE WHO DOESN’T EPITOMIZE “HUSTLE” - will someone please explain to me they hype about Sarah Hagen? I just don’t see it. sure, she’s scored a lot of goals but what’s going to happen when she’s not going against Horizon League opponents all season? I’ll repeat that I can’t completely write Sarah off for a few reasons. first being that I haven’t seen her play a ton and the second being that I haven’t seen her play with a talented team around her. I’ve seen her play in three games and score in two of those three games. it takes a lot for someone not to be impressed with a forward who scores in two out of three games they’ve been seen in but here we are. my problem with Hagen is that she just doesn’t try out there. she just stands up front and waits for something to happen. she doesn’t try to make any runs, she doesn’t try to get physical with a defender she just stands there. don’t get me wrong, she’s a talented player. she’s great with the ball at her feet but you have to hand deliver the ball to her for her to show you how great she is with it. Marquette is a bit of a physical team. there are two times that stick out when she and a defender went down to the ground and Hagen just laid there waiting for a call. I literally said to Zach at one point, “she’s such a baby!” I don’t think that phrase has left my mouth since I was five but here we are. she is a true American forward in that she has so much potential but doesn’t seem to deliver on it. after the game, Zach remarked that Hagen wouldn’t need to wash her shirt tonight as she couldn’t have possibly worked up a sweat in a game that went to double OT. my thoughts on Hagen in a nutshell.
- MARQUETTE-LITE - after working out some of the “big game” nerves Marquette started to settle into their game. they worked the ball around a bit more, got to every loose ball and started to turn the ball over less. they were starting to become the fun team I love to watch but they never got all the way there. their passes weren’t as sharp as they normally are and they settled for crossing balls in from the sideline instead of working the ball into the box as they usually do. I’m not sure if they just never completely calmed down or they weren’t confident they could weave through the 11 defenders UWM had on the ball but they just weren’t themselves. they still had complete control of the game, though. and won. so we’re alright.
- THIS IS THE 14TH BEST TEAM IN THE COUNTRY? - UWM’s plan of attack is take the ball straight down the field and get it to Sarah Hagen. Marquette could afford to put three defenders on Hagen because at no point in time was UWM going to make them pay for it by trying to get the ball to someone else. they have no other dimension. granted, you can’t disrespect what was an undefeated team and have them ranked 25th but I think 14th was a bit myopic. All White Kit’s Chris Henderson (who is a college soccer guru and I defer to him on everything) says not to get down on UWM because they lost a lot of talent after last year and still need to figure it all out. I watched last year’s team get completely outplayed by University of Wisconsin in the NCAA tournament and, if I remember correctly, have a little bit of difficulty at the end of their season (does the Horizon League have a tournament because they may have struggled in that? or maybe just with the end of their season. I just remember it had something to do with them locking up their place in the tournament.) so if they’re less talented than last year, they’re going to have some problems.
- JAMIE FORBES USED UP HER GOALKEEPING MOJO FOR THE WEEK - as I mentioned, Forbes had 11 saves in her win against Minnesota on Sunday and was named Horizon League player of the week. I don’t see her being named that for a 2nd week in a row. in the first half there was a shot that she just gave up on as she assumed it was going to go over the goal. it plunked the crossbar. the rest of the game she was caught out of position and reacted slow. it was her positioning (or lack of it) that finally allowed Marquette the golden goal. I don’t want to pick on her, though, because I like her. she beasts back there. but it wasn’t one of her finer games. unfortunately for her, she was only a minute away from getting away with it.
- MCBRIDE IS AWESOME! - Marquette’s senior Kerry McBride is a fucking stud! must be in the name. just another central defender to add to my “defenders are the best and I love them” list. that is all.
for the most part, the game was what I thought it would be. Marquette showed they’re a class above UWM, Maegen Kelly is awesome, UWM showed they’re not what people want them to be and that’s about it. I had an excellent time at the game. it was a perfect night out and I was watching college soccer with mah boo, Zach (and later on, Nick.) couldn’t ask for much more out of a Wednesday night.
ps: all that negativity towards UWM and I forgot to mention THEY DIDN’T EVEN MANAGE TO GET A SHOT ON GOAL DURING THE GAME. psh.
so what am I supposed to do when one of my best friends becomes one of “those” moms? you know, the stay at home mom who has nothing else to do but update facebook multiple times a day with the latest adorable thing the child did because they don’t really have much else to do with their day? I love the kid and I love my best friend but I just can’t vibe with the person my friend has become.
example: said friend and I were talking about our holiday weekends. she went down to Chicago to have a day trip with her husband and daughter. it ended when the daughter was miserable because of the weather so they went to the outlet malls.
me: yay! outlet malls! I need to get down there soon to pick up a fall jacket!
friend: I do too but I don’t have any money because daughter needs new clothes all the time.
1. I’m facebook chatting you, not your daughter.
2. you don’t think you’ll find any space in your budget for a $30 fall jacket from the Gap Outlet Store? ferreal?
3. why does everything you write back to me have to do with your daughter?! if I ask about your period is that conversation somehow going to revolve around your daughter? “oh, I didn’t have time to have a period because my daughter required all my time and attention and I just didn’t have time for one.”
maybe I’m just being a childless hater but I think our conversations need to be put on a time out.
I blame this entire situation on getting old.
for the past week I’ve been working on forcing myself to do things. within that week my house has been cleaned from top to bottom. believe me, that’s something to be proud of. it’s been kept clean, too. I suppose I’m just trying to get out of the habit of putting things off. I’m starting small and will work my way up. I’m not trying to do it all at once but I’m also working on not becoming complacent with what I’ve already done. I’ve been guilty of doing both.
I share this with you because I’m now forcing myself to write. I don’t know what I’m going to write about but I’d like to make it a daily thing. I firmly believe writing is a muscle that needs to be excersized. I used to like writing. I used to entertain people with my writing. I know I’m not that kind of writer anymore. so here I am, exercising my writing muscle. not only do I want to just be a better writer but this will lead to shaking some cobwebs out of my head.
like I said, I’m not sure what I’ll be writing here about. I don’t believe there’s too much going on in my life that I need to document it every day. if it’s a mellow day maybe I’ll look for a lame quote or maybe I’ll pontificate (I’m also trying to expand my vocabulary with this writing exercise) on how I know more about the Fulham defense than Martin Jol does. (IT’S A FACT, I DO KNOW MORE THAN HE DOES!) I just want to write something, anything, each day.
I’m going to keep my samthrax tumblr going, of course. I’m not going to up and abandon my reblogging of “blue bloods” gifs and my post-game Fulham pic spams. I just wanted to keep my writing and my reblogs, reblogs, reblogs separate in case you all don’t want to be subjected to potentially long posts.
here we go!